Lesson 20. Step 1. Commanding with the लोट् लकार |
Lesson 5. Dost thou remember Jagadeesha asking us who we were with a, "भवान् कः ? भवती का ? "
- भवान् and भवती are प्रथमा विभक्तिः एकवचनम् forms of the root words भवत् and भवती respectively, which mean the respectful forms of "you."
- Even though भवत् and भवती mean " you", they aren't "त्वम्, युवाम् and यूयम् " and as such just HAVE to fall into the प्रथमः पुरुषः |
- Only त्वम् , युवाम् and यूयम् fall into the मध्यमः पुरुषः ....so all verb-endings that go with this group are सि, थः and थ of the लट् लकार and the basic changed verb form, तम् and त of the लोट् लकार |
- Therefore the verb-endings you should use with भवान् and भवती is ति of the लट् लकार and तु of the लोट् लकार |
- To give you examples, त्वं पिबसि परन्तु भवान् / भवती पिबति Note the difference: भवती is feminine "you". भवति is the प्रथमः पुरुषः एकवचनम् form of the धातु " भू " ; meaning "to be" and is a verb.
- Now let us look at a combination of this भवान् and भवती with the सम्बोधन |
Ram has come home. I'd like him to drink some water. I offer him some water and say, "राम, त्वं जलं पिब " Skip the त्वं, the sentence becomes " राम, जलं पिब |" The पिब lets you know that राम is younger than i am OR even though my age or older, so close to me that i feel comfortable with the usage of त्वं when talking to him.
If the same Ram were to come to my home, i may say, "राम, भवान् जलं पिबतु " OR "राम, जलं पिबतु " This lets you know that Ram is someone i respect....he could be younger, my age or older.......it doesn't matter...by the use of पिबतु, i have conveyed respect.
Go back to our Lesson 13. Welcome Tritiya, and go through the prayer picked from the शिवकवचम् .
Now you will understand the form of the verb used. It is a request to the Lord and the beauty about it is that there is no तु at the verb's end which means that the sadhaka feels close enough to the Lord to address Him as त्वम् |
There are many who refer to everyone, young and old as भवान् and भवती | And there are just as many who prefer using the त्वम् group as well. The choice is completely yours.
It is obvious that certain people will always be spoken to in the प्रथमः पुरुषः .... one's parents, teachers etc. So how does one address Parama Pujya Swamiji?
Parama Pujya Swamiji commands greater respect than ordinary folk and as such, will be addressed in the प्रथमः पुरुषः बहुवचनम् form " भवन्तः " So verb forms that match the प्रथमः पुरुषः बहुवचनम् must be used. For example , कृपया भवन्तः जलं पिबन्तु |
The most respectful word to use to address or refer to our Guru is the word श्रीचरणाः |
For the moment we needn't know the complete tables of भवत् and भवती| We must get on with our understanding of the लोट् | But to help you with translations in the exercises, here are the first vibhaktis of both.
Let's work with the मध्यम पुरुष next.
त्वं जलं पिब| युवाम् अत्र उपविशतम् | यूयं फलानि खादत |
That was fairly simple , wasn't it? So at Step 1, we have learned the usage of the words भवान् , भवती , त्वम् , युवाम् and यूयम् along with the लोट् |
The Supplement section Supplement 8
has been fattened with many लोट् forms . Use them along with the above words, to build your fluency.
Over to Lesson 20 Step 2 . There, let's deal with the उत्तम पुरुष and the प्रथम पुरुष along with the लोट् लकार |
Prev Lesson 19 ---- सम्बोधन लोट् लकार च | (सम्बोधन)
Next Lesson 20 ---- Step 2. Commanding with the लोट् लकार | (Commanding Step 2)