Lesson 9 A - Exercises in sentence building.
Let's build a vocabulary now. The अ ending masculine( अकारान्त पुंल्लिङ्ग ) noun " राम " has already been introduced. We will work with just the first two
vibhaktis today. Subsequent lessons will introduce one vibhakti at a time.
Time now to introduce a new concept....
Whenever new verbs are introduced, the प्रथमपुरुष एकवचन will be given in
brackets alongside the धातु । For example, दृश् (पश्यति)। All you have to do is
separate the word पश्यति into पश्य + ति and understand that the usable verb
form is the first part of the word. You can build an entire present tense table
based on this by the addition of प्रत्यय s ( suffixes) as so..
दृश् (पश्यति) to see लट्लकार (present tense )
For quick reference to help you do the exercises, here are the first two विभक्ति -s
राम अकारान्त पुंल्लिङ्ग
| प्रथमा subject
Do you have a notebook , a pencil and a HUGE eraser ready? Then let's
|Nouns / Pronouns. .||Verbs.||Avyayas|
|सः he||भू (भवति to be)||किम्|
|तौ two he- s||पठ् (पठति to read or study),||अत्र|
|ते all the he- s||गम् ( गच्छति to go)||तत्र|
|रामः ( M)||हस् (हसति to laugh)||यत्र|
|ईश्वरः ( M)||कुत्र|
|बालकः boy ( M)||सर्वत्र|
|मनुष्यः man (M)||अन्यत्र|
|नृपः king ( M)||एकत्र|
विद्यालयः school ( M)
|ग्रामः village ( M)|
1. He is reading. सः पठति ।
2. Those two men are reading. मनुष्यौ पठतः।
All nouns and pronouns except for the त्वं, युवां, यूयं, अहं, आवां
and वयं fall into the प्रथमपुरुष। Therefore logically, two men HAVE to be
matched with पठतः the dual प्रथमपुरुष verb. And since there are two
men, the word for two men HAS to rhyme with रामौ which makes it मनुष्यौ।
3. What is happening there? तत्र किं भवति?
Whatever is happening also falls into the प्रथमपुरुष । Since it appears to
be singular, भवति is used.
4. The boy is going there. बालकः तत्र गच्छति।
Try doing the rest on your own. Answers are provided in Lesson 9B. But you
shall be honest and take a peek only after you have tried completing the
1. He is reading.
2. He is laughing there.
3. The boy is going to school.
4. Ram is going to the village.
5. The king is going elsewhere.
6. Where is the boy laughing?
7. Ram and Ishwar are studying ( Refer to lesson 7 A).
8. Ram is namaskaaring ( for lack of an appropriate word!) Ishwar.
9. The two are reading here.
10. Two boys are laughing.
11. Two men are going to the village.
12. Two boys are going to school.
13. All the boys are laughing.
14. All the men are going to the village.
15. All the boys are namaskaaring Ram.
16. Ram is namaskaaring all the boys.
Correct these sentences.
1. सः पठतः।
2. सः पठन्ति ।
3. तौ पठति ।
4. ते पठति ।
5. बालकः हसन्ति ।
6. सः गच्छन्ति ।
7. रामः ग्रामः गच्छन्ति।
8. ते किं पठति।
9. ते किम् पठन्ति ।
Seems more than enough for a first time session. Will see you next week. By the way, you may take that peek now. You have my blessings.
Onward-- we go to Answers in the next lesson 9 B
Prev Lesson 9 ---- Of Caterpillars and Non Caterpillars (03 Avyayas Usage Continued) Next Lesson 9 B--- Answers to Exercises in Lesson 9 A (Answers)