Lesson 54. This lesson should be done by everyone! ("take-offs" to the विधिलिङ् )
Absolutely. Without a doubt. The use of the words, which will be introduced in today's lesson, will open up myriad forms of expression.
Please take a look at Supplement 38
. These words are "take-offs" to the विधिलिङ् . They express what ought to be done BUT in the passive voice….and that too, only if you wish to use the प्रथमा विभक्ति . In the other vibhaktis , they are used as adjectives EVEN in the active voice.
You may use any of the three options given in the supplement.
Here are a few examples….
1. This work ought to be done. एतत् कार्यं करणीयम् / . एतत् कार्यं कर्तव्यम् /. एतत् कार्यं कार्यम् |
( तेन, अस्माभिः, तया, भवता… it doesn't matter by whom the person/people the work ought to be done by… i needn't be so specific. By using the passive voice, i have saved myself the need to remember the million forms of the विधिलिङ् to go with each subject.)
2. सः श्लोकः स्मरणीयः/सः श्लोकः स्मर्तव्यः/सः श्लोकः स्मार्यः| That shloka ought to be memorized/ remembered/ recalled. ( You needn't specify by whom.)
3. एताः कथाः लेखितव्याः/ एताः कथाः लेखनीयाः/एताः कथाः लेख्याः| These stories ought to be written .
Do you see how these words follow the object turned subject in gender and number ? How much simpler than having to say, …for example :
ते कार्यं कुर्युः | अहं श्लोकं स्मरेयम् | त्वं कथां लिखेः|
If you find this confusing, i suggest you go over Lessons 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 and 47. This should help you revise your passive voice constructions and help you understand how to work on this lesson.
Let's move ahead….
How do we use the words in the other vibhaktis as adjectives?
1. I do namaskar to my Gurudev Who ought to be worshipped( who is worthy of being worshipped.) अहं पूज्यं गुरुदेवं नमामि | If you recall : since The Guru is नित्यबहुवचनम्, ideally the sentence should be: अहं पूज्यान् गुरुदेवान् नमामि |
2. Place those clothes that ought to be washed in the bathroom.
तानि क्षालितव्यानि वस्त्राणि स्नानगृहे स्थापयतु |
3. These fruits ought to be placed in the refrigerator.
एतानि फलानि शीतपेटिकायां स्थापनीयानि |
4. The priest offers the water which is worthy of being used for bathing to the Lord Who is worthy of being praised.
पुरोहितः स्नानीयं जलं स्तोतव्याय देवाय अर्पयति |
Shall we try out the exercises in Lesson 54 A ?
Prev Lesson 53 B --- Answers to Lesson 53 A, and summing up Month 12 ( Answers to Lesson 53 A.)
Next Lesson 54 A --- (Translate the following) (Translate the following)