The consecration of the sacred Shivalingam at the Shankaranarayana Temple at Udupi was done in the Holy Presence of Parama Pujya Pandurangashram Swamiji in 1884 (Jyeshtha shuddha dwitiya of Taarana Samvatsara).

Pujya Swamiji bestowed the name ‘Shankaranarayana’ on the lingam and as a consequence, on the temple as well, because the lingam has 21 natural, symmetrical marks on either side resembling coils. On March 10, 1949 (Phalgun shuddha dashami, Virodhi Samvatsara) the consecration of Lord Dattatreya’s shrine was done here in the sacred Presence of Parama Pujya Anandashram Swamiji.