When several Saraswat families came to Kundapur in the first quarter of the 19th century to give their children a good education at the local school started by a committed Head – master Shri Raghunath Rao Bantwal, they desired to have a temple of their own.

With the Blessings of our eighth Mathadhipati Parama Pujya Pandurangashram Swamiji work began in earnest and on June 22, 1885 (Jyeshtha shuddha dashami, Parthiva Samvatsara) amidst much rejoicing a marble idol of Lord Satchidananda Dattatreya was consecrated at the Holy Hands of Pujya Swamiji. (Fifty years later, on June 9, 1935 after a lot of repair-work, punar-pratishtha was done at the Holy Hands of our 9th Mathadhipati – Parama Pujya Anandshram Swamiji. In 1985, a three-day centenary celebration was held and its grand finale was the punar-pratishtha on May 29th (Jyeshtha shuddha dashami, Krodhana Samvatsara).