Lesson 73. च्विप्रयोगः
Once upon a time there was a forest. A peaceful dense forest with not a man treading its hallowed precincts. One day a hunter chanced upon this natural beauty and proceeded to build a hut on its very edge. "I must let my family know of this wonder. My cousins too would like a home here."
Alas, the hunter had converted the forest into a village!
कः एष व्याधः यः तपोवनं स्वाज्ञया ग्रामीकरोति |
The word ग्रामीकरोति is a च्विरूपम् | Whenever you wish to bring into अस्तित्व, into existence, something that was hitherto not present in an object, the च्विप्रयोग is available for your use.
Let's look at a few more examples before I explain to you how you can form these words.
1. फेर ऍण्ड लव्ली मुखं धवलीकरोति |
'Fair and Lovely' makes one's face fair.
2. मातुः दुःखं लघूकर्तुं, बालिका तस्याः कृते पुष्पाणि आनयत् |
To lessen the unhappiness her mother was feeling, the girl bought her flowers.
3. मातुः दुःखं लघूकृत्य, बालिका क्रीडाङ्गणम् अगच्छत् |
Having lessened her mother's unhappiness, the girl went to the playground.
4. गाईड् इति चित्रपटे देवानन्दः साधूभूतः |
In the film 'Guide', Dev Anand became a sadhu.
5. स्वस्य इच्छा तेन प्रकटीकृता |
He expressed his wish.
6. सर्वे कपोताः एकचित्तीभूय उड्डयन्त |
All the pigeons flew as one.
How about just a few more words?
सुरभीकरोति, गृहीभवति, शुक्लीभूतः, सफलीभूता, औषधीकर्तुम्, चूर्णीभविष्यति, स्पष्टीकरणम् |
So what's the common thread? Obviously the following…
1. The first part of the words ALL seem to end in either ई or ऊ ,
2. The endings of the words can be ALL forms of the कृ or the भू धातु |
Let's get into the basics now….
1. The beginnings of the words can be either nouns (नाम ) or adjectives (विशेषण). For example, either गृह (नाम ) or शुक्ल (विशेषण).
2. Those nouns or adjectives are converted into either an ई or an ऊ depending on whether the original word ended in an अ ,आ or an उ | ग्राम + कृ =
ग्रामीकरोति | सफला + भू = सफलीभूता | साधु + भू = साधूभूतः |
3. There can never be a त्वान्त word, only a ल्यबन्त , simply because a prefix has been added.
मूर्तीभूय and not मूर्तीभूत्वा |
4. Though all forms of the कृ or the भू धातु can be used, while forming the past tense, the addition of the अ before the धातु can pose a problem.
(Pose?? IT DOES!!!! ) Circumvent this by using the क्त प्रत्यय | Then you must remember that with the कृ धातु which is सकर्मक you will need to use the कर्मणि construction. This is not applicable to the भू धातु , simply because it is an अकर्मक धातुः |
भयेन दमयन्ती कातरीभूता |
अध्यापकेन कृष्णफलकः शुक्लीकृतः | Gotit?
Translate the following. Convert the bold type into the च्विरूपम् |
1. Tarakasura treats (makes) the three worlds as grass.तृण |
2. By the boon received from Brahma, he has become arrogant. गर्व |
3. The Devas and the people become unhappy. दुःख |
4. They express their unhappiness to Brahma. प्रकट |
5. Brahma explains his idea. स्पष्ट |
6. Parvati, having become Shiva's servant, serves Him with devotion. दासी |
7. Shiva, having made Madana into ash, sits in meditation. भस्म |
8. Seeing her husband in such a state, Rati becomes very uneasy. व्याकुल |
9. "Tarakasura having become an enemy, troubles us," they say वैरी + भू |
10. " To make us happy, forgive Madana and make Parvati a bride." सुख / वधू |
11. Shiva's anger cools down. शीतल |
12. He accepts Parvati. अङ्ग |
13. " Madana will become Pradyuma and Rati too will become happy." says Shiva. प्रद्युम्न / सुख |
Do try converting the same present-tense sentences into the past for further practice. Remember to use the passive construction.
This completes the lesson on च्विप्रयोगः On to Nominal Verbs नामधातु in Lesson 74
Prev Lesson 72 ----- Causal verbs. प्रेरणार्थकक्रियाविचारः ( प्रेरणार्थकक्रियाविचारः )
Next Lesson 74 ----- Nominal verbs नामधातुः (Nominal verbs नामधातुः )